Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:56:55 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 00:09:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Now I am Jonesing for croquettes after seeing that in the subject. The
>>>problems? I need a recipe for baked ones with no egg. I used to make some
>>>with hominy (perhaps grits?) and cheese. They were rolled in bread crumbs
>>>and baked. I served them with tomato sauce on top. I think I no longer
>>>have
>>>the cookbook that that the recipe was in though. It did contain egg but I
>>>think if I put enough cheese in, it might be enough to bind it all
>>>together.
>>>
>>>Anyone have a recipe for some with no egg? And no, I don't really know of
>>>any good egg substitutes. Most don't work. Flax seeds might work in this
>>>though.

>> Latkes don't need eggs. Mashed spuds make good croquettes, no eggs
>> required.

>Don't think I've ever had a potato croquette. How do you make them?

I use maybe cups of leftover, cold mashed potatoes that have been
make with milk and butter, minced or grated onion, 1 egg, some bread
crumbs to consistency to hold shape. Scoop some potato mixture and
form into a ball, drop into hot grease, butter or oil of your choice.
Medium heat. Fry on one side until brown and crispy. Turn the ball
partially over so that you have one flat browned side, one totally
uncooked side plus the side that you have just turned over. Brown
that side then turn again so that you have 3 browned sides. Generally,
the recipes on the 'Net are fairly similar. Tasty. My husband always
looks forward to them.
Janet US