Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Wartz Steve Wartz is offline

Default 2018

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 10:28:29 UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:41:07 AM UTC-5, Steve Wartz wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > > HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL!

> > Yup...and we've MUCH to be thankful for...a GREAT President...responsible GOP leadership...an economy that is humming along JUST FINE and will be getting even BETTER in the New Year..

> It's been getting better for several years. You can't credit the current
> administration for that:
>
> <https://www.statista.com/statistics/248154/quarterly-us-real-gross-domestic-product-gdp/>
>
> > not to mention that the hapless Democratic pukes and their airy - fairy agenda > are DEAD in the water, heehee.

> I can't entirely disagree with you on this. The Democrats need to focus
> more on the working stiff's issues and less on identity politics. But
> we don't want to reverse the progress that we've made in civil rights.

My post was a bit troller - ish, but yes, I agree with you. I was shocked - and then delighted when Trump won. He managed to demolish the GOP, the Democrats, and the mainstream media, all of which was *long* overdue. His election was a "disruptive" event, and out of that much good will eventually ensue...too many in this country were snoozing along on cruise control, a heavy jolt is a good thing.

I'm listening to the Sunday morning news shows, specifically "This Week" on ABC. Some pundits are going on about the "death" of the American Dream, the "shrinking" of the middle class, etc. I'd like them to meet some of the immigrants and refugees and others I work with, they are working hard to get ahead, they struggled for years to get to the US. As for the "shrinking" middle class, yes, it is shrinking, because so many formerly middle class are now *upper class* because of rising incomes (of course a small minority have not kept up, they are now lower - income)...

To those unhappy with our current leadership, I say get yer act together, present a better case, the people will judge you at the ballot box...

All in all, we have it pretty good in this current time and place...all over the world free - market capitalism has enabled BILLIONS to rise out of dire poverty. I was reading something about China, a few decades ago 60% of Chinese were living in dire poverty, not that is FIVE percent - think about that! Formerly communist states are now prosperous, their citizens living "normal" lives...in Africa life is improving, too.

So HAPPY NEW YEAR again, all...!!!

--
Best
Greg