Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:57:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>
> > On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like
> > part is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

> Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging,
> it's true. But for some reason even though I have been told before
> on several occasions which is the mortar and which is the pestle I
> for some reason never get it planted in my brain. Probably because I
> don't use it much. I used to have a good wooden one with a nice
> thick rounded pestle. The one I have now is some kind of marble with
> a pestle that is too thin. But it's usable. The hummus turned out
> great. I am with you and your family - I am no vegetarian but eat
> lots of veggies and keep the meat to 3 ounces typically. Now and
> then a good 6 to 8 ounce steak is nice, but it's not a regular thing
> with me. I'm a soup and stew type guy, also cold dishes slung
> together such as the fruit plate I mentioned with the hummus. I got
> into the 6 day prep routine over the years when I drove a cab and
> didn't have enough time to cook every day. Now that I am 'retired'
> and collecting $735 a month SSI I still use that same system. I live
> on less than some people spend in a week, but I feel wealthy because
> I don't have to work. I also said, "No matter how much money you
> make, if you HAVE to work you're not rich." Thanks for your posts.
>
> TJ

Hi TJ, and no problem! I have dyslexia so spelling tends to be my
issue. Every now and again you will see someone here go bonkers about
it. Like is it pestel or pestle? I dunno! Anyways, the different
thicknesses to the matching bowl depend on what you are making. All
work, but some are more efficient for some things. In places I have
lived where they were common kitchen things, they tended to have 3
mortars of variable sizes and up to 6 pestles (sp?), also of variable
sizes. It was depending on what they needed to crush/mash as to what
was used.

On living within your means, I am with you. Some here try to pretend
upscale but aren't and some make more $$ but cook simply and we have
one angel who caretook of her mom and inherted the house that turns out
is in an HOA. She has to either eat at the clubhouse or pay them some
annual fee if she doesn't eat there to the annual required level (crazy
I know but we have fun seeing the menus when she posts them).

Anyways, we have some commonality in cookery between us!
Carol