Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 2:37:52 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

(snipped bean and rice with meat and mint recipe)

> > Hi Jaz,
> >
> > I like generally the recipe but the mint simply feels wrong to me?
> > Different traditions likely there.
> >
> > --

> I understand. Some recipes don't sound good on paper. How about
> hummus for instance? Chick peas and sesame paste? How did that come
> about? Probably by accident, both foods sitting separately on a
> plate and coming together and someone going, "Hmmm, not bad." I hate
> chick peas. I don't like beans of any kind that are too firm. But I
> love them boiled almost to mash. I guess it's the broth. I know the
> mint in the beans sounds odd but it really adds a unique flavor that
> is not overbearing, depending of course on how much one adds. That's
> another benefit to prepping. Make the beans and meat then place them
> separately in the fridge. Take a little meat and cut up and add the
> beans and rice. Now you can add just a taste of mint, and if you
> don't like it all you've lost is one small meal, not an entire pot of
> food.
>
> TJ

I follow you. I have plenty of recipes where parts are cooked then
added later by serving. There's a term my friend Susan uses for it
called 'cook once, eat many'. I think it came from a book or a trend.

An example of what she does is to brown up enough ground beef for a
week then freeze the rest.

Susan has an extended family and feeds from 9-13 people (2 of them
small grandkids) each meal. Humm, lets see if I can count them up.
There's Susan and her husband, and 4 adult kids of which 3 are married
and 2 live with her (plus one son in law and 2 of the grandkids). The
other 2 adult kids and their spouses live within 100 yards or so and
there are 2 middle school aged kids. (Yes, they kick in for the
groceries).

Her Thanksgiving preps started Tuesday with cookies and other make
ahead items. Today she did 2 Turkeys and one of the sons brought over a
baked ham. She's the only one I know in person with a stand alone
stove and a secondary counter rangetop who really needs all that.

While her needs are different from yours, she'd definately do the same
sort of mix-n-match cookery.

Carol