Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

On 11/23/2017 11:25 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:16:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

>>> Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
>>> up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

>>> If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
>>> throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
>>> browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.
>>>

>> Yep, Italian sausage in the casing (tasty for sure) definitely benefits
>>from a bit of browning.
>>
>> Jill

> I thought the recommended way to cook sausages was to put a bit of
> water in the pan (1/4 inch maybe) put the sausages in on medium, cook
> and turn until the water is gone, sausages are firm and browned. Not
> sure where I picked that up
> Janet US

I've simmered Italian sausages (pricked). I've grilled them. I would
like a bit of browning and your method suggests a combination of both
simmering and browning.

The original post doesn't really make sense to me. First mentions
cooking beans, then sausage, then rice. Oh, are we talking beans and
rice with sausage? Hard to tell.

Jill