rebecca

Default Ginger cake

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:02:49 -0600, rodent > wrote:

>rebecca wrote:
>

>> 4 ounces preserved ginger -- (125 g/ 1/2 C) roughly
>> chopped
>>

>When you say preserved, do you mean candied / crystallized ginger?
>'Cause the types I can get here in OK are 1)candied 2)ground and 3)fresh.

I'm not sure--I think it means the kind that comes in a jar, in syrup.
It's like the candied / crystallized kind, but wetter and a little
softer. I've used both kinds, though, and they both work. The
cookbook the recipe's from is English, so I'd think 'preserved ginger'
would be an English ingredient.

BTW, the cake turns out better if you make it in a tube pan--I make it
in a deep 20-cm pan with a small tube. It turns out kind of crumbly,
though very damp and tasty, and the pan with the tube seems to help
the slices not fall apart.

--Rebecca