Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Arizona State Fair Results

On 10/12/2017 5:03 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> We aren't able to go to the fair as we are still on our mini-vacation.
> Howver, I had a friend attend the fair on the 10th and review the food
> exhibits.
>
> Woo-Hoo!!! I was awarded a blue ribbon for my pickle entry but only a
> third place for the strawberry preserves. They judged the preservrs as
> too dark, but excellent on all other points. I'm not surprised about
> that because the "sun process" typically produces a rather dark
> preserve. The strawberries were uniformly whole and filled the jar
> nicely along with the syrup, but the color was a very dark red. One
> comment from the judges said the pickles were a very intresting
> departure from usual process in this category. I assume he was
> referring to the "candied" description and flavor. We'll be returning
> on Saturday and we'will get to see everything for ourselves.
>
> I have Xnews installed on a thumb drive, so was able to post on a hotel
> PC.

Congratulations, next year at the fair you will need to outdo yourself.

The only ribbons at a fair I have gotten were for fancy rabbits, a very
long time ago. I think the ribbons are packed away some place. I do miss
not having cooked rabbit frequently but we can only have dogs and cats
here. I've eaten both when on a survival hike in the military but prefer
chicken and rabbit. <G> Oh yeah, snakes and turtles are tasty.

George