Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cheryl[_3_] Cheryl[_3_] is offline

Default Donating to the Food Bank

"Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:37:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
>>> course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
>>> Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
>>> got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
>>> there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be.

>> Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
>> bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
>> bank.
>>
>> The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
>> manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
>> bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
>> same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.

> You did tell me that. But that being said, I still donate items. I can get
> items for free. Currently I have people in my own life who are needy. So I
> give to them. Otherwise I would give to the food bank.

I love that you take advantage of coupons and free offers to give
to food banks. I need to remember that when I see the same types
of offers. Sometimes I'll see a BOGO and give the freebie to my
neighbor because they struggle too sometimes but I don't always
think about it f for canned food and other non perishables. But
if I see a buy one 5lb bag of potatoes and get one free I always
grab that free one even though I'd never use it myself
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/