Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bruce[_28_] Bruce[_28_] is offline

Default Donating to the Food Bank

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:16:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>are all shelf stable items.

I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:

Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous
Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Corn Starch,
Maltodextrin, Salt, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin
Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar,
Ricotta Cheese* (Whey, Milkfat, Lactic Acid, Salt), Parmesan Cheese*
(Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Citric Acid, Blue Cheese*
(Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
Oil, Cultured Nonfat Milk, Monoglycerides, Color (Yellow Lakes 5 & 6,
Yellows 5 & 6, Red 40 Lake), Yeast Extract, Whey, Natural Flavor, Blue
Cheese* (Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Blue
Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Cheddar
Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Sodium Phosphate,
Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent). *Dried.