Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Donating to the Food Bank

There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.

The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just down the
street. I'll be donating.

They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.

I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with
canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans. Canned broth. Rice is a starch
but if, as I suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm
workers, perhaps they might like some rice with those beans. More
protein: canned chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.

I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.

How about some dried herbs and spices?

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

Jill