Dar V

Hello,
I started our tasting party with a favorite of mine - an almost 2 year
old Apple Cherry wine (made from Old Orchard Frozen concentrate). Everyone
liked that wine - it is a 13% alcohol by volume, semi-dry, light bodied
wine, that tastes like apples and cherries. It has smoothed out since I
bottled it at 7 months old.
The Watermelon-rhubarb wine was next. This is a 2 year old wine made
with real fruit. This was my only bottle from that batch (the other 4
turned out to be bottle bombs) - this was before I used wine stabilizer.
This wine was okay - it is an 11% alcohol by volume, dry, very light-bodied
wine, which my friends said tasted like a non-descript white wine to go with
fish.
Next we tried the Dandelion wine. This is over 2 years old - my first
flower wine. This wine no one really liked. It is a 12% alcohol by volume,
dry, yellow wine which my friends said was very strange tasting. Since I
have taste tested this wine before, my impressions were that it had smoothed
out a lot, but maybe would be better a bit sweeter. My second batch is
still maturing and I tried to make it sweeter. Anyway, we tried adding
making a wine-cooler out of this wine, by adding 7-up to it & ice - and it
improved considerably. That's what I will do with the other bottles.
The last bottle we tried was a 2+ year old cherry wine made out of Door
County pie cherries. It is a 12% alcohol by volume, dry, light-bodied red
wine which everyone seemed to like (except my one friend who likes sweeter
wines). This wine has smoothed out considerably since I bottled it, and I
sent the leftovers home with one of my friends.
The ranking of these wines (from best to worst) was Apple-Cherry,
Cherry, Watermelon-rhubarb, Dandelion. With the exception of the
Apple-Cherry wine, these were all my first attempts at making them. I have
since made second batches, based on my own observations, which are still
maturing. It will be interesting to see what my friends think of my second
batches, now that they have tried the first - an if I have improved those
wine - if not, I may not make those again.
Darlene
Wisconsin USA
om...