Hunt

In article >,
says...

>"skenzer" > skrev i melding
.. .
>> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
>> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
>> Thanks
>> Skenz

>45F is 7.5C and that's pretty cold for a quality wine. Simple and sweet
>Germans of the Liebfraumilch or Moselblümchen class act well as summer quaff
>at that temperature. I think you should consider 50F (10C), even 54F (12C)
>for the very best bottles.
>
>However, that's actually not much of a problem - the wine will warm up in
>the glass and you'll easily find which temperature suits you (and the wine).
>Worse is serving too warm...
>Anders

Yes, I often cup my hands to the bowl (I know that it is not the *proper* way
to do it, and it does leave fingerprints) to add a bit of warmth to whites
that I find were served too cold - a common occurance in the US restaurants,
where they bring it out of the cooler at 45F and then plunge it into an ice
bucket! Fortunately, being on the cool side doesn't usually mask major flaws,
so it's still possible to get a quick assessment of whether the wine is *bad*,
while the wait-person stands by, but it can, and does mask a lot of minor
flaws. I've even had a very few restaurants bring out iced glasses - uck! It's
usually easy to get glassware at room temp though. You just have to meet the
glare from the wait-person, when making that request. Luckily, none of these
establishments had a WS award, or DiRona on the wall :-}

Hunt

PS, I'll more often request the ice bucket for 75F reds - again the glare...