Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Dilly bean recipe

On 8/20/2017 7:15 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> I got this recipe from the renowned Barb Schaller who got it from the
>> cook book, "Blue Ribbon Pickles and Preserves. I ultimately bought the
>> book and it has lots of good recipes.
>>
>> DILLY BEANS
>>
>> 2 pounds trimmed green beans
>> 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>> 4 garlic cloves
>> 4 springs fresh dill
>> 1/4 cup pickling salt
>> 2 1/2 white vinegar
>> 2 1/2 cups water
>>
>> Sterilize canning jars and lids.
>>
>> Pack beans lengthwise into hot, sterile pint jars. To each jar add 1/4
>> teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 garlic clove, and 1 sprig of dill. Combine
>> salt, vinegar, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour,
>> boiling hot, over beans, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal with
>> sterilized lids according to manufacturer's instructions. Process in a
>> boiling water bath for ten minutes.
>>
>> Yield: 4 pints. Note: I have put up fifteen or twenty pints at one time.
>> <G> We have a lot of canning pots, etc. Our pressure canner if well over
>> forty years old, bought it at Sears when we were just married, we keep
>> it clean, all the apparatus gets cleaned too, and I have the gauges
>> tested annually before use. Our kids, grands, and great grands love our
>> dilly beans. Now we need a bumper crop of green beans next year.

> the brine i make for the pickles is 2 water to 1
> vinegar, some salt and a little sugar.
>
> i measure the volume of brine needed by packing
> the jars then filling them with water to the level
> needed and then dumping that into my pot. when
> i've done that for all the jars then i measure
> that amount and divide by three. 1/3 then is
> cider vinegar 2/3 water, 1 scant tablespoon or
> less of salt per quart or two, 1 heaping teaspoon
> of sugar. taste to make sure it's ok. not every
> batch is exactly alike, but close enough.
>
> tons of dill. 1 sprig would be a joke to me.
> i really like dill. i could just eat pickled dill
> alone.
>
> also, i don't put any spices or garlic in there.
> cayenne doesn't do much for me and so far nobody
> has complained. i grow plenty of garlic here so
> it's not like i don't have any, i just never put
> it in the pickles.
>
> i guess i'm a big fan of simplicity.
>

> songbird

We both like garlic, thank goodness, and I like a little dash of cayenne
or other hot peppers in my pickled whatever's. One great grandson will
eat all my hot pepper stuff if I let him but I try to keep him away from
it. The only rule within the family is that Granpa wants his jars back.
<G> I have a couple of hundred canning jars accumulated over the years
and seldom have one break. I only buy the top of the line jars, no odd
Chinese or other jars.

It's 101F on the back porch right now, come on fall.

George