Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default well, we're gonna try some dilly beans

On 8/19/2017 2:38 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> i put up four quarts today. we'll see how
>>> they turn out.
>>>
>>> i have more beans yet to pick, but i'm not
>>> sure i'll do that tomorrow or monday.
>>>

>> If you don't like the taste send them over here, our entire bean crop
>> crapped out early in the spring. Something ate them all. I guess we will
>> try an autumn crop and will start them soon.

> how do you do them? i pretty much used the same
> method i did for the cucumbers.
>
> wash/rinse, make brine, pour brine over cut up
> beans, process.
>
> dunno how crunchy they will be, but i recall the
> dilly beans someone gave to me were pretty good.
>

>> Our climate often gives us another crop but it is all dependent on Ma
>> Nature.

> if i would replant every few weeks i could be in
> beans all season until the frosts come. i just don't
> usually have the space or am too busy with projects
> by mid-summer to really push production.
>
> we have about a month or month and a half before
> the first frosts return. i could try to sneak in
> some peas - but it won't happen. i'm way too busy
> trying to get other things done.
>

>> George, the early riser in this house, I think I hear snoring from the
>> master bedroom and the dawg has already had her breakfast and meds and
>> is already snoozing on the office couch. Routine things for old people
>> and old dawgs

> Mom wakes up before i do, has her coffee, knits
> and watches the weather channel. i wake up sometime
> around when the sun comes in the patio door or even
> earlier. i used to be a night-owl, but i've tried
> to shift my sleep schedule earlier so i can get out
> in the morning while it is still cool outside.
>
> routine is good, i'm a big fan of the simple
> life...
>

> songbird

I will look in my library of canning and cooking books, some very old.
I'm old too so I don't remember a lot of things that we do, therefore a
library of the above.

I used to work shift work in a chemical plant, ran the boilers and water
treatment there for sixteen years. I learned early on to go to sleep
early and wake up to the alarm clock. Learned that from my Dad, he
worked shift for over forty years. That shift work and several years in
the USN taught me to not wait for the alarm clock. Then I went into
management at several companies and got used to getting up to get ready
to go to work and do it early.

Went in the Navy at 17, right out of high school and worked for 47 years
after getting out. We had a lot of fun as we worked overseas for many
years. Then I started my own business and ran that for about fifteen
years off and on. I get anxious when I don't have anything to do. <G>