Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default dill pickles

George Shirley wrote:
> centuries of leaf dropping. Here, we have to make "dirt" to grow
> anything at all. Sometimes we get a big crop of climbing green beans,
> other times the bugs get them.

this has been a pretty good season here for
the beans. only a few have "rust" spots or
other damage.

> I keep telling the boss lady we need to go fallow for one season and
> rebuild our man made dirt and then we can plant anything we want. She
> just wants to plant stuff regardless of the dirt. We both grew up on
> small farms with really good dirt so she seems to think all dirt is good.

it is a lot of work to renovate and amend
raised bed gardens. you should get a few of
those grands to help out with that once the
weather cools a little.

for us the veggie gardens all started at
the exact same state. clay with some sand.
after 15+yrs they are doing pretty good.
the worms/worm pee/worm poo and any green
manure and/or extra organic materials are
paying off. every garden i've been working
on since i got here about 10yrs ago started
as barren and very little worms. now when
i'm out there i'm finding worms and all
the veggies grow much better now than how
they looked when i first started. like
when i would grow some beets the leaves
used to be small, pale, with holes. now
the beets look like they should.

> It's raining again, Hallelujah!

yay! we've had some rains here or there.
sunshine yesterday and today. maybe rain
tomorrow. we'll see... low to mid 80s
but humid enough to keep me inside for the
middle of the day. later this week we'll
drop to the upper 70s. hope we're done
with the really hot weather, but it might be
too soon for that realistically...

songbird