Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default pot luck item

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 09:03:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/9/2017 8:34 AM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 07:51:07 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
>>> salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
>>> in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
>>> Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.
>>>
>>> We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
>>> what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
>>> greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
>>> invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
>>> napkins. The company started providing those so they had to figure out
>>> something else. It's not easy, unless you know what other people are
>>> already bringing.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> We didn't do pot lucks at work, we would all agree on a menu and a
>> price, and food was purchased and prepared in the shop kitchen or
>> outdoors on a large grill and in large pots... the welders made the
>> large cooking equipment.
>>

>I was one of those "office workers" you seem to deplore. We had pot
>lucks frequently. The company provided the meat, the employees brought
>the side dishes. Desserts (store bought pies and cakes) seemed to be
>most common.
>
>Jill

I have never considered office personnel as workers, they are
nonproductive overhead that make work. The computer was promoted as
something that would reduce paper and paper pushers but just the
opposite has occured... "office worker" is an oxymoron.

Today I had a doctor appointment... I spent 45 minutes driving to the
office. While there I met with four different office personnel. I
was handed 22 pages of paperwork on a cdlipboard to fill out that took
me 2 hours to complete... took them ten full minutes to find me a pen.
Teh only thing I did that I considered productive was going down the
hall to have an x-ray. There were 6-7 patents in the waiting room but
there were more than 20 office personnel... the most difficult work
they did was to find me a pen that wrote. Was a totally wasted day,
they could have/should have emailed me the paperwork to fill out at
home. I actually had to write my name, today's date, my phone number,
my birthday, my age, and insurance info on the top of all 22 pages...
if they didn't have everyone fill out 22 pages of redundencies
they'd have pens that wrote.

I drove home for another 45 minutes and never saw a doctor. Not ten
minutes ago my phone rang and I was given an appointment to see the
doctor, next week. Paper pushers, yik

This was the same doctor who treated me ten years ago for back pain, a
neurosurgeon. Ten years was good milage on epidural shots. But then
I didn't need to go through all the rigamorole, gotta blame the
obomination awfuss personal make paperwork program. Awfuss personel
is NOT legitimate employment, a welder is legitimate employment but
never awfuss personel. I'd pay someone to mop floors and clean
toilets but never to sit on their fat ass and push paper.