Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default pot luck item

On 8/9/2017 1:38 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
>>> able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
>>> carbs as far as the eye can see.
>>>
>>> Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
>> salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
>> in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
>> Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.
>>
>> We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
>> what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
>> greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
>> invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
>> napkins.

> what about the womwn who didn't cook?

They brought paper plates, plastic cutlery and napkins, too. I was
talking about a work pot luck. It was usually the men who were the ones
who didn't cook. Things got difficult when the company started stocking
tableware. Uh oh, a pot luck! Better run to a bakery! Find a cake or
a pie! I only knew a few men who actually cooked. I'll never forget
one man whose wife brought in a pan of homemade Spanikopita. He was so
proud! It was delicious, but he acted like *he'd* done something. No,
his wife showed up with a baking dish...

Jill