Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default pot luck item

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 23:08:40 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 8-Aug-2017, tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
>> provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks

>Brown Buttered Corn.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Brown Buttered Corn
>
>Recipe By :Melissa Clark
>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories :

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 3 ears corn -- shucked
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 4 sprigs thyme -- preferably lemon thyme
> Coarse sea salt
> Freshly ground black pepper
> Chopped fresh soft herbs (basil -- mint,
> parsley, cilantro), optional
>
>Break ears of corn in half and stand one half vertically on a
>cutting board. Using a sawing motion, run a knife between cob and
>kernels to remove kernels. Using back of knife, scrape denuded
>cob to release corn's juices. Transfer kernels and juice to a
>bowl. Repeat with remaining corn.
>
>Melt butter in a saucepan; add thyme. Let butter cook until you
>see golden brown specks in bottom of pan and butter smells nutty,
>about 5 minutes. Add corn, juices and a large pinch of salt and
>pepper; stir well and cover pot. Let cook until corn is tender,
>about 5 minutes.
>
>Remove thyme sprigs, add more salt and pepper if desired, and
>serve hot, alone or as a side dish, garnished with herbs if
>desired.

> "This side dish is easier than corn on the cob. Fresh corn
> kernels are cooked in butter browned so that it takes on a deep
> caramelized flavor."
>Source:
> "New York Times, Food section"
>S(Internet Address):
> "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018599-brown-buttered-corn"
>Yield:
> "4 servings"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - - - -
>
>Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 50g Fat
>(60.8% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 14g
>Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4
>Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Fat.
>
>Serving Ideas : Try it with these roasted fish fillets.
>

>Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

I went past this recipe a couple of times before I really got to
thinking about it. I've now saved it. Hopefully I will get to try it
for real next year (hoping my corn crop comes through then).
Meanwhile I am going to put it on my list of variations for the winter
using frozen corn. I know the little scraped nubbins will be missing
but I think this approach is a good idea. Thanks
Janet US