Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default pot luck item

l not -l wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Brown Buttered Corn
>
> Recipe By :Melissa Clark
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 3 ears corn -- shucked
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 4 sprigs thyme -- preferably lemon thyme
> Coarse sea salt
> Freshly ground black pepper
> Chopped fresh soft herbs (basil -- mint,
> parsley, cilantro), optional
>
> Break ears of corn in half and stand one half vertically on a
> cutting board. Using a sawing motion, run a knife between cob and
> kernels to remove kernels. Using back of knife, scrape denuded
> cob to release corn's juices. Transfer kernels and juice to a
> bowl. Repeat with remaining corn.
>
> Melt butter in a saucepan; add thyme. Let butter cook until you
> see golden brown specks in bottom of pan and butter smells nutty,
> about 5 minutes. Add corn, juices and a large pinch of salt and
> pepper; stir well and cover pot. Let cook until corn is tender,
> about 5 minutes.
>
> Remove thyme sprigs, add more salt and pepper if desired, and
> serve hot, alone or as a side dish, garnished with herbs if
> desired.

> "This side dish is easier than corn on the cob. Fresh corn
> kernels are cooked in butter browned so that it takes on a deep
> caramelized flavor."
> Source:
> "New York Times, Food section"
> S(Internet Address):
> "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018599-brown-buttered-corn"
> Yield:
> "4 servings"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I saved this recipe. Almost what I do with fresh corn anyway
but with a few additions.

Don't bother breaking ears in half first though. That would
be a pain in the butt. I hold a whole ear and cut off the
bottom 2/3 first, then reverse and cut off the remaining 1/3.
One ear of corn yields a very generous pile of corn for
one serving.

I always cut fresh corn off the cob and eat or bag it
to freeze later on. I just microwave it and add some butter.

Next time I'll try your way. Brown the butter (I do this for
eggs all the time) and add some thyme and probably a bit of
basil. Stir that all up until hot. Sounds very tasty to me.

G.