Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default dill pickles

> On Sat 05 Aug 2017 08:31:57p, songbird told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> If I had to do that amount of diging and mulching, I'd be dead!
>>> :-) It's probably a good thing that we don't have a garden. I
>>> just buy the small amount of prime produce we need to do any
>>> picklng or canning. At least the end product is not store
>>> bought. :-)

>> it has been coming along ok. this picture was
>> taken on the 29th of July:
>>
>> http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...edoing_thm.jpg
>>
>> i'm about 10ft to the left of there now.
>> i love the exercise, as today was cooler i was
>> able to make good progress. rain forecast chances
>> for Sunday and Monday - so dunno what i'll manage
>> to get done. i have 3 other projects to do after
>> this one this summer/fall/winter (before the ground
>> freezes) on top of the regular garden chores and
>> harvesting and putting things up. i love it all.
>> could do it 24/7 if my body would tolerate it.
>> alas, i am getting older too. just glad i can do
>> what i am. within a few more weeks i should be
>> in really good shape as we get towards cooler
>> weather and i have lost a few more lbs and built
>> up more muscles.
>>
>> today i scrubbed more cucumbers, but didn't have
>> quite enough energy to get them in the jars and
>> sealed up. will get that done tomorrow sometime.
>> picked beans yesterday and cleaned them up and
>> then steamed 'em. yum! love fresh beans.
>>

>> and this pic is from another garden:
>>
>> http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo...03_Squash_Thym
>> e_thm.jpg
>>

>> songbird
>>

> You're a "busy body" and I mean that in the nicest possible way. I
> can't imagine getting done all that you do.
>
> I just bought some beautiful fresh green beans at a farmer's market
> yesterday. I love them and they are a favorite. I also like them
> pickled with dill and garlic.

Dilly beans! One of our favorites and for all the family. Been putting
them up anytime we get a green bean harvest that is worthwhile. That's
why we miss the dirt we had in Louisiana. Many feet of detritus over
centuries of leaf dropping. Here, we have to make "dirt" to grow
anything at all. Sometimes we get a big crop of climbing green beans,
other times the bugs get them.

I keep telling the boss lady we need to go fallow for one season and
rebuild our man made dirt and then we can plant anything we want. She
just wants to plant stuff regardless of the dirt. We both grew up on
small farms with really good dirt so she seems to think all dirt is good.

It's raining again, Hallelujah!