Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default dill pickles

On 8/5/2017 10:31 PM, songbird wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> If I had to do that amount of diging and mulching, I'd be dead! :-)
>> It's probably a good thing that we don't have a garden. I just buy
>> the small amount of prime produce we need to do any picklng or
>> canning. At least the end product is not store bought. :-)

> it has been coming along ok. this picture was
> taken on the 29th of July:
>
> http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...edoing_thm.jpg
>
> i'm about 10ft to the left of there now.
> i love the exercise, as today was cooler i was
> able to make good progress. rain forecast chances
> for Sunday and Monday - so dunno what i'll manage
> to get done. i have 3 other projects to do after
> this one this summer/fall/winter (before the ground
> freezes) on top of the regular garden chores and
> harvesting and putting things up. i love it all.
> could do it 24/7 if my body would tolerate it.
> alas, i am getting older too. just glad i can do
> what i am. within a few more weeks i should be
> in really good shape as we get towards cooler
> weather and i have lost a few more lbs and built
> up more muscles.
>
> today i scrubbed more cucumbers, but didn't have
> quite enough energy to get them in the jars and
> sealed up. will get that done tomorrow sometime.
> picked beans yesterday and cleaned them up and
> then steamed 'em. yum! love fresh beans.
>

> and this pic is from another garden:
>
> http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo..._Thyme_thm.jpg
>

> songbird

And here we are with 90 plus daily, gardens are not producing much and
we won't start a fall garden until the weather gets a little cooler.
Your pictures make me think you live in some hills or on a mountain, we
prefer flat land as in the bottom of an ancient sea. A few feet down we
hit sand and clay. I miss our beautiful Louisiana soil, several feet of
detritus from centuries of tree leaves and such. Toss a seed into that
dirt and then jump back. Our property there had just the right amount of
sun and shade. We moved here to be close to our get and I'll be damned,
we still don't get to see them much as they are all busy with jobs,
kids, etc. Should of stayed in Louisiana.

George