Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default dill pickles

On 7/20/2017 12:38 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 05:49:05a, songbird told us...
>
>> 5 quarts small whole pickles with plenty
>> of dill.
>>
>> when i was cleaning them the night before
>> i popped open a pint from the first batch
>> that i made on 6/30. they were yummy.
>>
>> i mistakenly made a few small batches after
>> the first which had more salt in them, but
>> i doubt that will stop me or my bro from
>> eating them.
>>
>> digging garlic today. not too many bulbs
>> but enough (and if it isn't enough i have
>> plenty more i can dig up any time out back
>> in the more wild garden).
>>
>> beans are doing well, starting to see plenty
>> of flowers. have to train some climbers
>> up the fence instead of runners swarming other
>> neighboring plants.
>>

>> songbird
>>

> I only make "new pickles" with dill and garlic and therefore only
> make 1 or 2 pints at a time because even when refrigerated they
> "ripen" too quickly for my taste and the saltiness can become
> overwhelming. I'm the only one in the house that eats them.
>
> The only other pickles I make are bread & butter, and I usually make
> a dozen pints or so. We don't have a garden, so I must buy all my
> produce. One source I have usually has fresh Kirby cucumbers.
>
> When I can get really nice green beans I make dilly beans, both
> savory and sweet/spicy versions.

We have a dozen or so pickles of varied types, mostly older jars in the
pantry. This year our cucumber crop was a total failure. Mold hit them
early on as we received a bit more rain than we needed at the time. Same
with the green beans. Luckily we had a very good carrot crop so made
dilly carrot sticks.

If Ma Nature screws up things then we introduce her to something new.
Currently we are staggering around with near 100 degrees daily and then
a rush of rain. The mocking birds did in the sparse crop of figs so no
fig jam this year. The kumquat tree lost its blooms and, believe it or
not, two months later it popped up blooms and even more than the ones
that were dropped in the freeze. Weather here has been strange for the
last year, we're not used to hard freezes followed by very hot summer.

I don't think we will starve as the pantry closet in my office is full
of goodies. Dear wife has made a batch of pickled okra and sweet
peppers, they will sit for at least a month before we eat them. If one
crop fails we seem to have another crop that is humongous.

George