Nomen Nescio

> None of the chopsticks on the site, especially the
> Japanese ones, had the rough area near the tip.
> My brother-in-law bought us two sets of Japanese
> chopsticks during a trip that have this, and it makes
> picking up the slippery stuff a lot easier.

Personally, I don't care, but is that traditional? If
they'd put a little hinge in the middle, along with the
serrations, you could use them like forceps and not miss
anything. Or why not just use a fork?

BTW, does "ohashi" refer to ALL chopsticks or just certain
kinds (breakapart; fancy polished chopsticks; other)?

I use chopsticks when eating out and get by with the
different kinds: breakapart disposables, plastic/fake
ivory square kind, etc. I have the biggest problems
with the pointy polished kind but can usually everything,
even all the rice.

Basically, I use what they give me. If the restaurant
set my place with Western utensils and no chopsticks I
don't make a fuss and eat that way. Although, I've never
ordered sushi and NOT gotten chopsticks. Since reading
about it in a.f.s as being acceptable, even in Japan, I
will sometimes use my fingers for maki and nigiri but not
chirashi or sashimi. I have little whorls, loops and arches
on my fingertips that make it easier to hold slippery things.

--
Sent by xanadoog from yahoo piece from com