Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by

On 6/7/2017 10:50 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2017-06-02 21:49:34 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> Another batch of carrots ready for canning plus the green beans are
>> finally coming on. Got a bag of figs from friends to turn into jam as
>> our fig tree got hit hard by the two day freeze in January where it
>> got down to 21F both days. Half of it fell off come spring. Plus the
>> cukes are blooming like crazy, don't need any pickles as we had bumper
>> crops the last three years, pantry is full of jams, jellies, pickles,
>> you name it. And I still have about six cases of jars and a box of
>> lids and rings. I'm not a hoarder but you never know when the canning
>> urge comes on.
>>
>> No pears to can this year as that same hard freeze hit the pear tree.
>> I've found three pears on the tree and, if they ripen, will just be
>> eaten.
>>
>> The kumquat tree was also hit hard, lost all of its leaves but now is
>> in full bloom, more blooms than the previous three years. Might be
>> getting a lot of quats for jellies and jams, not to mention chopped
>> for kumquat pies and cakes.
>>
>> My blueberry plants have never done anything so will be pulling them
>> up and ditching them, they're only about eighteen inches high and have
>> never grown. Thinking either domestic dewberries or blackberries will
>> go in there, dewberries like some shade too.
>>
>> George

> You growing any of that leaf celery stuff in Tejas? You'd dried it and
> sent me a bunch. It's gone. '-)

Not much anymore, celery is very cheap here in the land of wetback labor
but we don't even eat much celery anymore. May just grow some more leaf
celery just to use in stews and soups again, it truly is a weed.

Our children are both contemplating early retirement. Daughter is an
assistant principal and puts in long hours and is getting tired. Son is
the Assistant Director of Texas Children's Hospital and we don't see he
or his family very often.

George