rebecca

Default Ginger cake

On 24 Feb 2004 07:29:01 -0800, (Lesley Gault)
wrote:

>Could anyone give me a recipe for ginger cake that is not really dry.
>I have made a couple but they always turn out very dry inside although
>they taste fine. It may be my cooking that's the problem but I would
>like to think its the recipe!!!!!

This one's pretty good, and nicely damp.

Light ginger cake with lemon icing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cake gingerbread
veg

10 ounces white or wholewheat flour, or a mixture --
(275 g/ 2 1/2 C)
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
2 ounces soy flour -- (50g/ scant 1/2 C)
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
8 ounces sugar -- (225 g/ generous cup)
6 fluid ounces olive oil -- (200 ml/ 3/4 C)
5 fluid ounces orange juice -- (150 ml/ 2/3 C)
5 fluid ounces water -- (150 ml/ 2/3 C)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ounces preserved ginger -- (125 g/ 1/2 C) roughly
chopped

Icing:
3 ounces powdered sugar -- (100/ 2/3 C)
lemon juice -- enough to make a stiff mixture
long strips of lemon zest

Heat oven to 325F/160C.

Sift first 8 ingredients together, then mix in sugar.

Whisk the wet ingredients together, then add to the dry ingredients
and mix well. Mix in the preserved ginger.

Pour into a thouroughly greased deep 22-cm cake pan and bake for an
hour to an hour and a half, depending on the the pan's configuration.

When it's done, let the cake rest in the pan for 5 minutes before
turning it out on a rack to cool.

When it's cool, cover the top with the icing and decoratively scatter
the zest.

Source:
"adapted from Rose Elliot's _Vegan Feasts_"