Posted to rec.food.preserving
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default Weather (was Carrots)

On 4/28/2017 4:45 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> We put up six pints of spicy carrot sticks yesterday with garlic with
> them. Our carrot crop this year was outstanding. Probably will freeze
> some as rounds just for stews and soups. Most were at least two inches
> in diameter at the top but only about four inches long. Very sweet and
> tasty.
>
> George

It always amazes me that you are near the end of your growing season
when we are still battling snow (two weeks ago, the day I flew to CA to
visit daughter's family.) Since I left, DH reports a couple of severe
hailstorms so our usual "after Mother's Day" planting advice didn't work
this year.

Of course, springtime in the Rockies brings our 7 day forecast to the
high 80s all next week.

In northern San Diego County, Daughter had a bowlful of fist-sized
lemons on the counter from her MIL's tree. We also harvested a fresh
pineapple from the potted plant that I started over a decade ago in my
dining room window. It moved to CA with her family seven years ago.
We also ate fresh snow peas every day, tiny carrots from thinnings, and
wonderful corn and strawberries thanks to the many farmers' markets.
I love it there.

Stay cool and healthy, George.

gloria p