Posted to alt.food.sushi
Ken Blake[_3_] Ken Blake[_3_] is offline

Default What is the Japanese name for escolar?

On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Shiro Otaku
> wrote:

>I'd heard it was "abura bouzu" but when I search for that, it comes up as "skilfish." Does anyone know the actual Japanese word for escolar?

According to
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashim...i-terminology/ it is

Abura Bouzu – (ah-boo-rah boh-zoo) or Abura Sokomutsu (ah-boo-rah
soh-koh-moo-tsoo) – This is Escolar (Oilfish) and sometimes called
Shiro Maguro, although it is not tuna and should not be confused with
that fish.

Also see http://www.alighaemi.com/wp/?p=1060

Looking up skilfish, I see that it's a different species from escolar.
I wonder whether it's just a typo for oilfish.