View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Donnhoff, Guimaro, Boulay, Gigault, etc

Some friends of Betsy who had moved to Ireland were visiting, and Betsy invited members of the meditation group they were in for dinner. I did a crab appetizer, with the NV Laherte €śUltrsdition€ť Champagne. Appley, yeasty, fine mousse, simple. B

Main course was chicken, tomatoes, and shallots in white wine, I opened 2 bottles for cooking:
2006 St Francis Chardonnay (Sonoma)
Oaky blobby, sweet, tired. C
2010 Santa Barbara Winery Reserve Chardonnay (Sta. Rita Hills)
Way too buttery for me, but surprising acidic balance. B-/C+

With dinner, a few better wines
2010 Boulay €śClos de Beaujeau€ť Sancerre
Larger framed Sancerre, great acids, grapefruit with herb and stone notes. A-

1998 Gigault €śCuvee Viva€ť (Cotes du Blaye)
Im a big fan of 1998 RB, but this is overripe, oaky, formless, and a little hot. Some loved it. C+

2014 Guimaro Mencia
Fresh, peppery, spicy, with bright red fruits. B+

Saturday we went to her sisters, BIL wanted to make €śDark and stormys€ť (dark rum with ginger beer) and had done Caribbean menu to follow- mango cabbage salad, Caribbean corn on the cob, jerk ribs, and shrimp with quinoa

2009 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett
Sweetness does well with the spices, moderate acids, limey and long. B+

2016 Riotor rose (Cotes de Provence)
Light, easy, simple. B-

Betsys cello trio had a concert and then dinner after, I made myself a
Swordfish steak with some leftover rice and beans, wine was the 2015 Lagar de Broullon Albarino (Rias Baixas). Crisp, saline, long. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.