Darwin Vander Stelt

Thank You Ben! I will use that article in my third attempt at a good pinot
noir. The first year it was watery and vegetative and the darn vines got
some canes 15 feet long before I got around to hedging them. Year two I
cropped the heck out of it, and didn't fertilize, in hopes of diminishing
the ridiculous vigor. The wine was watery and tasteless. This year the vigor
was slightly better and I didn't fertilize, and I kept the crop down to
maybe 2 ton/ac level (I have only about 65 pinot noir plants so i'm
guessing)but it was a damper ,cooler summer and theres a little powdery
mildew on about 20% of the clusters. Oy Vey!
Would you use the clusters which just have a few berries with mildew on
them? Those berries don't seem to ripen and may drop off as we approach
harvest.
"Ben Rotter" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mike" > asked:
>
> > How many pounds will it take to make 6 galons?

> Upwards of around 70 lbs, depending on yield.
>
> > Do I use all juice or do I add water?

> No water.
>
> > What should the acid levels be before fermentation?

> pH 3.2-3.6, TA 7-10 g/l (as tartaric).
>
> > How long should I leave the skins in the fermentor?

> Until dryness is reached (or at least until Brix < 5).
>
> > Anything else I need to know?

> Check out:
>
> http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/Pinot.htm
>
> for plenty more info.
> For a start, you might consider destemming, cold soaking, and saignée

options.