Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: weekend wines- Sancerre, ESJ, Champagne, live and dying Burgs

Friday I picked up some wine at storage, including a mixed case of white Burg where I knew odds were against most (I basically bid on the 2 bottles I wanted, added $10 for rest). Dinner was scallops in chive sauce, broccoli, and barley, the 2002 Latour-Giraud €śLes Genevrieres€ť Meursault 1er Cru was pretty oxidized, though not totally undrinkable. Pear and butterscotch fighting with the cider notes. C/C+

Replacement bottle was the 2005 Michel Bouzereau €śLes Grands Charrons€ť Meursault. This was plenty fresh, if not especially complex. Apple, pear, a little floral note. B

Saturday I hit the fishmonger at the farmers market, had shad roe, grilled bluefish, brown rice, and salad. Wine was the 2010 Gerard Boulay €śMonts Damnes€ť Sancerre. Big, balanced, ripe fruit but bright acids, grapefruit with orange zest, chalky mineral finish. Long. A-

Sunday a drummer friend who just had shoulder surgery was able to imbibe again, we had him and his wife for dinner. I shucked some oysters and put out shrimp wrapped in nori, with the
NV Camille Saves €śCarte Blanche€ť Brut Champagne. Dry, crisp, lively, peach and apple with some light brioche notes. B/B+

Dinner was duck breast and grilled trumpet mushrooms on pea shoots and arugula with a bacon/ramp dressing, with blue cheese mashed potatoes on the side.

1997 Edmunds St John €śRocks and Gravel€ť
From recent library release. I think this was first vintage of R&G, replacing the Cotes Sauvages. Less meaty than the Cotes Sauvages of the early nineties, red fruits, some herb, some anise. Tannins resolved, ready to go. B/B+

2001 Jean Chauvenet Nuits St. Georges
Still some tannin, good acids, modest black fruit, not very long. B-