Bill Spohn

I don't know if advertising affects ratings in the Wine Speculator, though I'd
be willing to believe it didn't, or if it did , only to the extent that the odd
bad review of a good advertiser was simply omitted rather than changed.

But more to the point, upon reflection I find that I don't really care whether
their reviews are truly independent or not. More important to me is the fact
that they reviews are often just not very good, and that there is little
consistency, with people that clearly have no experience or ability to assess a
particular style of wine penning gibberish and calling it a review.

Some of my favourite Italian wines used to be rated in the 70s by these twits
just because the guy writing the column apparently had zero experience with
traditional lean mean Italian wines that need years to come into focus.

I dropped my subscription to WS last year and haven't missed it a bit.