Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_14_] Ophelia[_14_] is offline

Default Fresh Express Recalls Batch After Dead Bat Found In Prepackaged Salad

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 4:27:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 1:55:53 PM UTC-10, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> > An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> > sordid new ingredient.
> >
> > On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> > recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> > in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
> >
> > According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> > two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> > organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> > Spring Mix.
> >
> > But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> > statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> > production lot are subject to the recall.
> >
> > The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> > stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> > has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> > and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
> >
> > Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> > investigation into the matter.
> >
> > Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> > immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> > but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> > receive treatment for the disease.
> >
> > "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> > signs of rabies," the CDC says.
> >
> > The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> > is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> > transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> > uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> > cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
> >
> > "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> > find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> > their health department," the CDC advises.
> >
> > http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> > way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

> Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tK7PwsdPxk
>
> ===
>
> You have eaten them??
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

No, just kidding. As I recall, bat soup is served in the island nation of
Palau. The recipe is simple - you boil a fruit bat in coconut milk. No
cleaning is done which simplifies things a lot. I guess that would be a
cheap meal since there's a lot of coconut and a lot of fruit bats on this
planet.

==

But not in this house, thank you)

--