View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Mostly Rioja, + Chablis, Champers, Chianti, PN

Friends came for dinner, we started with smoked salmon, baba ganoush, romesco, and the NV Bruno Paillard Premiere Rose. Lovely wine, fresh cherry and strawberry with a touch of citrus peel and bread. Elegant mousse, full and fresh. A-/B+

Dinner was local pork porterhouses on the grill, with spinach, rice, and salad.
2014 Enderle & Moll Liason PN
I loved this, a little tart for some. Raspberry and cranberry, very floral, fresh and bright. Spicy. B+/A-

2006 Frescobaldi€ťMontesodi€ť Chianti Rufina Riserva
Others liked more, I found heavy and plodding. Black plums, a tad jammy, low acid for Chianti. B-/C+

Betsy made artic char with sesame seeds and a red wine reduction and a kale/mintwalnut salad with a peanut dressing, wine was the 2015 Guignier €śBio-Vitis€ť Morgon . Sturdy but approachable, red and black cherries, violets, a little smoke. B+

Friday local group came over, theme was Rioja. I had out some cheeses (raw Manchego, Ossau Iraty, Shropshire) and charcuterie (duck rillettes, lonza, summer sausage, Alsatian style sec, pate grandmere), I also had a bubbly to welcome

2000 Edmond Barnaut Champagne Grand Cru
Not my style- seemingly high dosage, nutty/oxidative notes, cider apples, bread. Fine mousse, good acids. Others liked and if you prefer Krug to Comtes you might as well. B-

1998 Lopez de Heredia €śTondonia€ť Rioja Reserva blanco
As usual, divisive. I (and couple guys) liked its idiosyncratic style- a bit oxidative, with strong coconut, almond, and citrus notes, with earth and wax. Others felt too weird. B+

On to the blind reds.
Rioja #1
This is lovely, young old style Rioja. Black cherry, coffee, coconut, spice.. Midbodied and long.
2005 La Rioja Alta €ś904 €ś Rioja Gran Reserva A-

Rioja #2
Mine. Clearly older but holding on well. Black plums, dill, clove, earth. Tannins pretty much gone, moderate acids. Good but ready.
1981 Beronia Rioja Gran Reserva B/B+

Rioja #3
Young, fruit driven,red fruit, American oak (coconut, dill), spice.
2010 Baron de Ley Rioja Reserva B+

Rioja #4
Black cherry, vanilla, mocha. A little sweet for me.
2011 Montana Rioja Reserva B-

Rioja #5
A little tired, wood and fading cherry fruit.
1998 Marques del Puerto Rioja Gran Reserva B-/C+

Rioja #6
Red cherry, spice, coffee, long finish. Delicious and young.
2001 La Rioja Alta €śArdanza€ť Rioja Reserva B+/A-

Rioja #7
Straightforward fruit bomb, tasty but simple, clearly Crianza.
2013 CVNE €śCune€ť Rioja Crianza B

Fun night. Good guys. Good wines.

Last night I roasted a chicken with €śrainbow€ť carrots and mushrooms, also had roasted radicchio and green beans. Wine was the 2011 Fevre €śles Clos: Chablis GC. Really delicious- lemon, green apple, oyster shell. Bright, focused, and long. Ideally this could age but my PremOx record with Fevre is poor, so Ill just drink my other bottle soon and enjoy. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.