Tom S

"Mike" > wrote in message
> I am placing an order for Pinot Noir grapes and have a few questions.

This
> is my first time making wine from fresh grapes. I have made wine from

other
> fruits and kits before.
>
> How many pounds will it take to make 6 galons?

Figure about 80 pounds. I'd round it up to 100 pounds.

> Do I use all juice or do I add water?

_Never_ add water to grapes!
One exception: when preparing fining materials, they need to be mixed with
water. There's no avoiding that.

> What should the acid levels be before fermentation?

Get the pH below 3.5.
3.2 to 3.5 is the normal range. Personally, I'd like ~3.3 to 3.4.

> How long should I leave the skins in the fermentor?

At _least_ until dryness. Certainly until you press.

> Anything else I need to know?

You have no idea! You'll find out though. ;^)
Do some reading. Ask more questions.

Tom S