Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roy[_4_] Roy[_4_] is offline

Default Use by date

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/24/2017 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 2/24/2017 8:49 PM, Alex wrote:
> >> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:

> >> The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> >> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> >> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> >> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
> >>
> >> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> >> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> >> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
> >>

> >> This is a great initiative.
> >>

> > This is great. I get up every day at midnight and check to expiration
> > dates so I can toss the expired stuff.

> Damn! I have some cream that expired two days ago. I missed the deadline!
>
> People get so het up about these dates. Most of us know they're really
> just a best guess. If you need a date stamp to tell you when food has
> gone bad you really shouldn't be shopping for, or preparing, food.
>
> There was a former poster here who used to throw away [what sounded
> like] a lot of food based on those random dates. She's the type of
> consumer this rule change is geared towards, to prevent the unnecessary
> throwing out of perfectly good food.
>
> Jill

I'm sure that "former poster" would find some way to get around the new rules
so that she/he could toss food because she/he loved to shop for more food.
I know people who just love shopping at the malls...personally I hate malls
with a passion. My wife had a helluva time getting me to go to them but the
kids were always gung ho.
=====