Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default What is a fried bologna sandwich?

Cheri wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> > This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> > couple of those food shows.
> > Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> > from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> > what condiments? Anybody?
> > Janet US

> When I was a kid, we fried the bologna which my mom would get from the
> butcher in a large chunk, slice it as thick as we wanted, put it on soft
> bread with butter, or mayo, whatever we liked (I liked Miracle Whip) and eat
> it. I don't know how they make them now, but if I was having one, that's how
> I would make it.

Back in my childhood days, a regular bologna sandwich was on white
bread with mayo. Deluxe one added processed american cheese, tomato
and lettuce. Also I'm pretty sure we always had the tangier Miracle Whip
too.

Occasionally, I got the fried bologna. Never got to have the thick
sliced though...it was still the thin pre-sliced and those were
put on white bread with mustard.

I was never a big fan of that and I've never made it in my adult
life. My daughter never got it from me either as she grew up.