Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default What is a fried bologna sandwich?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:27:28 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
>>couple of those food shows.
>>Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
>>from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
>>what condiments? Anybody?
>>Janet US

>There's no exact recipe as there are infinite variations, only thing
>consistant is thick sliced balogna (~1/4"). Don't forget to cut slits
>around the perimeter or the bologna slices will curl up like a bowl.
>Some like to add cheese, I don't... if anything I prefer to add a
>beaten egg. I think it works best with kosher bologna, actually I
>much prefer a fried salami sandwich; fried kosher salami on an onion
>roll from a Jewish bakery (onion kuchen), w/spicey brown deli mustard,
>and a bowlful of half sour pickles, with a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic.
>Usta be a thousand+ kosher delis in Brooklyn, now maybe 4-5, and not
>the real deal. There's really no real kosher bologna/salami
>anymore... Hebrew National is fake kosher, was always fake kosher.
>http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-bol...andwich-133272
>http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=fr...yword_rollover

I know what you mean about butcher shop made bologna. My home town
makes it (ring bologna only) but there is absolutely no comparison to
store bologna, wieners, hot dogs. I miss it. Mom used to put the
whole ring in a pie pan into the oven to heat it. When you cut into
it, it split and juices poured out.
Janet US