Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Luker baking chocolate (from Goya) - your opinion?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ocolate-230547

> Thanks for that. The four comments are worthwhile too. Since Luker does not include cocoa butter and I don't have any, I wonder if I could/should use plain butter?

The recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened). Bitter
chocolate is unsweetened chocolate, and the difference between the two
is sugar not the amount of cocoa butter - so you'll need to add 1
tablespoon granulated sugar per ounce of bitter chocolate to simulate
bitter/semi-sweet.

Not sure why you think Luker doesn't have cocoa butter or why it
matters. In any case, I think adding cow butter would ruin the
flavor. Add heavy cream if you must, but Spanish chocolate is a very
dark chocolate and you'd be turning it into milk chocolate if you do.

As far as cornstarch.... you want it a lot thicker than hot chocolate,
but not as thick as pudding. It's a dipping chocolate. Dip your
churros in it (Trader Joe's has them in their freezer section) My
biggest problem with the Spanish chocolate I had in Spain was they
added so much cornstarch I could taste it. Weird but true. I make
cornstarch pudding and don't taste the cornstarch, so I'm not sure
what the difference is. It's a mystery to me.

As far as what's the difference between bittersweet and semisweet
chocolate... nobody agrees, but I think there's a bit more "chocolate
mass" in bittersweet. IOW, it's more chocolatey tasting - so Luker +
sugar should work.