Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Luker baking chocolate (from Goya) - your opinion?

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 12:36:09 -0500, Brooklyn1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1L._SX355_.jpg

>>>I have some that I bought some 20 years ago, it's good for Mexican
>>>style hot chocolate but not for much else. I bought it at a famous
>>>Hispanic market on Long Island, Brentwood Market, I shopped there
>>>practically every day, but they are no longer in business, the
>>>neighborhood changed and they closed.
>>>
>>>Ingredients say 100% pure cocoa. Manufactured by S.C.S. de Jose Jesus
>>>Restrepo & Cia. S. A. Manizales Product of Colombia. Weighs 8.6 oz. I
>>>paid $1.59... that's what the label says.
>>>It's been sitting in my cupboard all these years in a zip-loc, about
>>>3/4 remaining, don't remember what I used it for. It's been sitting
>>>all these years, forgot I had it until I saw your post. If you want
>>>it I will be happy to mail it to you, give me a snail mail addy. If
>>>you're interested I will give you my email addy. If the email addy
>>>you have posted is working I already sent you an email... let me know
>>>if you want it and where to send it.

>>In general, chocolate has a shelf life of about 2 years. You just
>>haven't been able to tell the difference. You know that 20 years is
>>too long to keep a food stuff, right?
>>http://www.eatbydate.com/other/sweet...piration-date/
>>Janet US

>Nothing at that site is true. Chocolate when properly stored can last
>forever but with most commonly purchased commercial chocolates ten
>years is a reasonable storage time. The white deposit that develops
>on chocolate is called "bloom", it's the fat migrating to the surface
>and is NOT spoilage, can be safely eaten.

Too bad you didn't read it. It never said the bloom would kill you.
It talked of lost quality. I also said that if you had been using the
same stuff for 20 years you were not able to tell the difference.
Sure, that block of chocolate will be around for a long, long time. If
I'm going to go to the bother of preparing something, I want all the
flavor that should be there. Your argument about aging spices and
herbs applies equally here.
Janet US