Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Holidays and Sadness- 1991 and other California wines, GV,Burg and Bojo, Oregon, Alsace, Ruwer, etc

On 12/29/16 4:33 PM, DaleW wrote:
> My mom passed away last week. Seems a little weird to be posting
> tasting notes, but there is comfort in routine.

So sorry to hear that news, Dale. Do whatever feels right and comforting.

> Tuesday went to a 1991 CalCab dinner at the Milling Room. Brief
> notes With grilled octopus 1991 Kalin DD Chardonnay- I liked more
> than most, like a blend between a CalChard and an old school white
> Rioja. Good acids, lots of oak, spicy. B

> 1991 Dunn Howell Mtn- touch funky, cedary, tannins there but not as
> much as I expected. I like B+/A-

In my experience (not considerable), the wines Randy Dunn made in the
'90s are quite different from the '80s versions: less harsh tannins that
soften earlier than those hard-as-nails earlier wines. I've had the '94
Howell Mountain and it was quite manageable.

Thanks for the notes,
Mark Lipton