View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Holidays and Sadness- 1991 and other California wines, GV,Burg and Bojo, Oregon, Alsace, Ruwer, etc

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 4:33:05 PM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> My mom passed away last week. Seems a little weird to be posting tasting notes, but there is comfort in routine.
>
> I posted on the previous Friday but forgot the appetizer wine - I shucked some oysters and opened a half bottle of 2013 Fevre Chablis. Crisp, saline, correct. B-/B
>
> that Saturday with Bobby Flay roasted chicken with green sauce, and the 2006 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly. Lovely showing, rich red fruits with spice and sandalwood, juicy acids, good finish. B+/A-
>
> Sunday was grilled squid over arugula and radish leaves, with barley, rutabaga, and the
> 2015 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray sec. Apples, wax, honey- crisp and firm. B+
>
> Monday Betsy made Bouluds chicken with preserved lemons and olives, couscous, & kale sprout. Wineless, but then Wed before heading to GA we had leftovers with the 2001 Trimbach €śCuvee Frederic Emile€ť. Delicious, vivid acids, green apple and lemon, long and lively with some petrol notes. A-
>
> Tuesday went to a 1991 CalCab dinner at the Milling Room. Brief notes
> With grilled octopus
> 1991 Kalin DD Chardonnay- I liked more than most, like a blend between a CalChard and an old school white Rioja. Good acids, lots of oak, spicy. B
>
> 2011 Jadot Beaune-Greves blanc- young,oaky, but good B/B+
>
> 2001 Karthauserhof Spatlese- bright, vibrant, honied. B+/A-
>
> With Berkshire chop, cabbage,and onion (good, but sauce too sweet)
>
> 1991 Cain 5 - herbal, a little lean, but good. B+/B
>
> 1991 Duckhorn CS- maderization on nose, plump on palate. C+ this bottle but probably storage issues
>
> 1991 Liparita CS- spritz, secondary fermentation funk, NR
>
> 1991 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow
> Sturdy., redder fruit than some others, lots of herb and cedar, quite enjoyable. B+
>
> 1991 Dunn Howell Mtn- touch funky, cedary, tannins there but not as much as I expected. I like B+/A-
>
> 1991 Beringer Private Reserve- I liked better than another recent bottle, plush texture, sweet black plum fruit, ready/ B+
>
>
> 1991 Etude CS- a bit advanced, creaky, though some nice bones underneath. B-
>
> 1991 Shafer Hillside Select- big, still tannic, sweet rich fruit, B/B+
>
> 1991 Phelps Insignia-corked
>
> Good night with good people. Got call from my brother as I was on train home.
> Spent Wednesday making plans for holiday groups, then we flew to GA Th AM, went to dinner that night with my brothers family at a small Italian place, I had veal saltimbocca and a glass of Frescobaldi Chianti (vintage unknown). Just what one would expect- some cherry, dried cherry, a little floral, not long but not bad. B-
>
> Next night 2 BTG at a local tavern with my trout and Betsys shrimp and grits
>
> 2015 Domane Wachau Gruner Veltliner
> Im usually a Domane Wachau fan (Id probably rate it my 2nd fave co-op after Produttori) but this was a little dull. Hint of spritz, apple fruit, no real GV distinctiveness. B-/C+
>
> 2014 Foris Pinot Blanc
> Betsy had a cocktail and then ordered this with dinner (she has a distant family connection with winery), but I drank most of glass. This was on the €śrich and bold white€ť section of the list, and I wouldnt call it that, but it was quite enjoyable- light, saline, floral. B/B+
>
> Christmas eve my brother had some friends with younger kids over for a casual evening - red and white chilis, salads, stuffed bread bowls, ChikFila nuggets, etc. Beer, scotch, and wine:
>
> NV Freixenet Black Label
> Better than I anticipated. Touch of sweetness, ripe apple, hint of bread dough, though short. B-/C+
>
> 2011 KIstler €śMcCrea€ť Chardonnay
> Good acids, but oak is just a little too out there for me. B/B-
>
> 2013 LXV €śReserve X€ť Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles)
> Never heard of producer, but less OTT than I anticipated when I saw Paso Robles CS in a heavy bottle. Actually at 14.1 abv I guess quite restrained for PR. Sweet black plum fruit, a little baking spices, some vanilla. B/B-
>
> Christmas day David and his fiancee Grace joined us (I had flown them in originally so Grace could meet my mom, alas). Betsy pitched in with communal cooking with my brother and his family. All I did was shuck some oysters. Oyster wine was the 2010 Peter Michael Apres-Midi SB. Not a bad ringer for mid-modern Pessac, this tastes like a SB/Semillon blend even though I think all SB. Some vanillin oak, white pear fruit with citrus peel, hint of grass, a little fig. Good body, good finish. Ideally Id like oak a bit more integrated, but I enjoy. B+
>
> Dinner was Horseradish crusted standing rib, turkey, dressing, green beans, sweet potato, Barbuto kale salad, and lots more
>
> 2007 KIstler €śMcCrea€ť Chardonnay
> Mature, oak still out there, some interesting mineral notes. B
>
> 1985 Delas €śSeigneur de Maugiron€ť Cote-Rotie
> Some fruit but fading, bacon, herbs, a bit of ashtray. Probably better 10 years ago, but I enjoy this a lot. B+/B
>
> 2009 Colgin IX Estate
> Pretty massive Bordeaux blend, ripe cassis with anise and vanilla. For me this is a bit much on its own, but I do enjoy with the rib roast. Probably an A/A- for those that prefer this style, for my tastes Id give the Cote Rotie in its dotage a slight edge. B
>
> After memorial Monday, I spend some time helping reorganize my brothers cellar. He has a lot of California PN, not a area I know a lot about, but was interesting to see and I enjoyed moving things around, and making suggestions on what needed to be drunk soon (especially with European stuff that he had mostly received as gifts). With leftovers Monday I suggested we try a bottle (with some backups) I had low expectations for- the 2003 Joulie Cote de Nuits Villages. Actually, a pleasant surprise to me, neither too old or overripe. Red cherry and cranberry, some smoky notes, some earth, only a hint of oxidation. B for me (my brother switched to scotch)
>
> Our last night in GA, I warned of likelihood of 1999 Marc Colin €śEncegnieres€ť Chassagne-Montrachet being gone. Color was good in bottle, but got dark immediately on pouring. 17 years might be stretching for a village wine in any case, but this was fully oxidized though we can debate if premoxed. NR
>
> We went to dinner at brothers club. I had salmon as we tried a bottle of the 2013 WillaKenzie €śGisele€ť Pinot Noir. Raspberry, cherry candy, a little forest floor. B
>
> Wednesday no wine as Grace, David, Betsy, and I flew back to NY. Hard week, but really good to spend quality time with brother and his family (and their dogs).
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Sorry to hear that, always tough to say goodbye to a parent.