Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Shadow[_3_] Shadow[_3_] is offline

Default Sourdough bread recipe using a liquid starter

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 21:15:35 -0500, Donald
> wrote:

>This uses a liquid starter that often comes to you from a friend, and
>it's known as friendship bread by many. But many I've talked with who
>make sourdough bread never heard of a liquid starter, so I'll share
>this in case you want to experiment with it. You can still keep your
>current "wet dough" type starter in case you don't like this, but you
>might prefer this way od making sourdough bread. You can call it
>Donald's liquid sourdough culture process if you like. :-)
>
>First, to make a liquid starter, you can use dried starter you
>purchased and add it to the feeding solution, let it ferment a few
>days on the countertop at room temperature (70 degrees F / 25 degrees
>C, possibly warmer but it will slow down if it's cooler than that) and
>feed again. Once it's going strong, you can neglect it for a month or
>so in the refrigerator, but it will need a feeding to revive it, and
>perhaps another feeding to get it back to full activity again. When
>I've left it for more than a month, I've used yeast nutrient and yeast
>energizer from a homebrewing (beer) supply store to kick it in the
>butt to get it moving again. I've had ot go as many as mnine months
>without feeding in th erefrigerator, but at one point I went longer
>than that and lost my first starter. Right now I'm looking to revive
>two different starters or start over with the same dried flake
>starters.
>
>If you have a dough type starter, or a wet messy one, take some of it
>and dissolve it in the feeding solution. It will get acclimated to the
>liquid environment. Ferment and feed as above until it's predictable
>in its behavior.
>
>The advantage of a liquid starter is it's free of mold. The small
>layer on top of alcohol produced by the yeast preserves what's under
>it from contamination, too. It does need covered to keep out fruit
>flies. You can use a Rubbermaid type container that has a hole in the
>cap or a Mason jar with a lid and an airlock like this:
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mason-Jar-Li...-/161400749283
>(which can be used for food fermentation also since it has a device to
>keep the food submerged below the liquid line)
>
>or this:
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Mason-Jar-...-/291808036195
>
>or drill a hole in a Mason jar lid and use a rubber stopper and an
>airlock like this:
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fermentor-Ai...-/182377770460
>
>or some variation of the above, or your own method of keeping air and
>fruit flies out. You add water to the air lock and that allows CO2 gas
>to escape but no air into the container. The above type of airlock is
>easy to clean. There are others that let you see the bubbling activity
>better but are not easy to clean:
>
>Enough about that. Now for the recipe/procedure to use this liquid
>starter . . .
>

>Sour Dough Bread
>
>Makes 3 loaves

> [...]

Interesting.

I posted my recipe in

with a follow-up he

Since then, made three batches of bread and 8 pizza crusts.
It's faster than traditional sourdough, but not as tasty,
IMHO.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004