Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default strawberries today (learned one lesson)

On 12/6/2016 8:20 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Easiest thing in the world, I go to one of the office stores and buy the
>> cheapest labels they have. Write on it with pen or a colored pen, stick
>> it on. Empty jar, run hot water over the label, pull it off and you're done.

> i suspect we'll be quite happy with post-its
> and a marker. we're not talking about a huge
> number of items all that often. we really don't
> eat many frozen things (maybe three to six times
> a month) for meals.
>
> this past summer with adding more frozen
> strawberries, roasted red peppers and squash i've
> really increased the amount of food i'd eat from
> the freezer. some of the frozen strawberries
> were replacements for strawberry freezer jam so
> i reduced those to make room for the other. Ma
> still needs room in there for when she bakes
> bread.
>
> will all the jars of frozen berries out of
> there now it's about the emptiest it's been in a
> long time.
>

> songbird

This past summer we had enormous harvests of sweet peppers of all
colors, eggplant, squash, green beans, okra, etc. Not being able to eat
it all fresh we then started freezing the stuff. Most of our grown
grands don't come around that much so there's no one to give it to. None
of our neighbors are very friendly and none of them garden so just a few
get some good groceries and even some of those don't eat much in the way
of vegetables. Seems a lot of them just eat bread, meat, and cheese. Yuck!

I hit the big freezer hard today, took out a package each of okra,
shucked beans, corn on the cob, and many other vegetables. Tomorrow I
will make a large amount of veggie soup and then put it back in the
freezer less the couple of meals we will eat. Makes a little bit of room
in there. I'm trying to eat more "stuff" out of the freezer and less
from the pantry.

The rain stopped yesterday, for four days we got slightly over an inch a
day. Then the sun came out and the garden has gone crazy again. I'm
hoping the rain took a good bit of the volcanic dust out of our sky too,
at least the cars and the roof aren't coated with it right now.

I'm off to bed.

George