Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default strawberries today (learned one lesson)

On 12/5/2016 4:20 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 12/5/2016 1:46 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> What is freezer space? Dear wife makes odd soups and such and puts them
>> in plastic container and into the freezer with no label on them. I may
>> have to get her go visit somewhere while I empty the containers that are
>> needed for food you know what it is. <BG>

> She needs a good Sharpie or a Listo china marker to make labeling
> easier. (Yes, I have few unknown things in the freezer that remain
> forever except every few years when (ahem) someone leaves the freezer
> door unlocked and half the contents thaws beyond saving (a very good
> excuse for binning the Unknown.)

She's an artist, she has all that stuff, she just thinks that at age 76
she can remember what is what. I asked her one day "What is this?" Oh,
that's tomato soup, it was leftover chili.

I really need the space in the big freezer that she has cluttered with
her "I have to save this" stuff. She is the middle child of five,
they're always hoarding food. VBG

> To Songbird: I can't think of a single food that IMPROVES with freezing
> when it is unripe or over-ripe. Sorry for your loss.
>
> gloria p

I took a college course forty years ago in preserving food, just for the
hell of it plus I needed three credits more to graduate. It was really
good to learn all that stuff. I've been putting up my own food starting
at my mother's knee. Even got the little paper that says I can do that. <G>

My favorite is jams, jellies, sauces, etc. At least all the grands and
great grands love it.

George, off to bed after a very long day of watching it rain, plus
napping with Tilly.