Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default strawberries today (learned one lesson)

songbird wrote:

> picked a bunch yesterday, so cleaning and
> making jam or just freezing them as crushed
> berries.

the berries i picked later in the season
were overripe and not the best, were even
sorta fermenting and very dark when i was
slicing them up and putting them into jars
for freezing. i knew it was questionable
but hoped the freezer would do in the
microbes. instead i got a very long slow
cold ferment. some jars blew the tops off
when i went to open them.

none of these were good when i opened them
up. they didn't taste horrible, but they
weren't right either. the texture is what
ruined them for me. spongy and all stuck
together as one mass. i've eaten some of
them and they don't upset my stomach, but...

a lot of work for little results. the
worms will be fed any left in a few more days
when the rest of them are done thawing out.

i have two pints we'll use up that are
borderline acceptable.

next year i will know better. i was
excited last summer because the ones i had
done the previous summer turned out perfect
(just what you would expect).

well at least we have freezer space now.

songbird