Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default The dreaded "green bean casserole"

jmcquown wrote:

> I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
>
> Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
> Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
> own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.
>
> I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
> with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
>
> The crispy fried onions are requisite.
>
> Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.

> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> sprouts. And acorn squash.

Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
Baked regular potato
Probably some frozen green beans
Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of milk)

That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.

Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.