Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The dreaded "green bean casserole"

On 2016-11-19 5:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
> notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
>>
>> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
>> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
>>
>> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
>> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
>> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
>>
>> nb

> Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> good.

I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and watching him
slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I helped her cook
Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned the job of preparing
the green bean casserole. She thought that if so many Americans liked
it, it must be good. I have to admit that it was surprisingly good.