Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Crystal-clear, low-sugar jellies? Possible?

On 10/7/2016 3:42 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> I think there are some old hand jelly makers in here, as well as a few prize winners to boot.
>
> If you have made a good, crystal-clear juice to work from (I know that's a whole 'nother topic), then is it possible using a low-sugar pectin (and therefore low sugar recipe ) to make a clear jelly? Or, is sugar required to give jellies that jewel-like, transparent look? Or, does it depend on the pectin you use?
>
> I'm not much of a jelly maker myself, I'd personally rather have something that leaves in more of the fruit that I worked hard to grow, but I'm just curious.

Use the low-sugar pectin. The sugar and pectin combine to set up the
jelly. Wife just made a big amount of kumquat marmalade and did
something wrong, it never set. I think it wasn't boiled enough but am
smart enough not to argue with here. Therefore we have a large supply of
kumquat syrup. <BSEG>

At the very least you might have syrup.