Posted to rec.food.preserving
Randal Oulton Randal Oulton is offline

Default Crystal-clear, low-sugar jellies? Possible?

I think there are some old hand jelly makers in here, as well as a few prize winners to boot.

If you have made a good, crystal-clear juice to work from (I know that's a whole 'nother topic), then is it possible using a low-sugar pectin (and therefore low sugar recipe ) to make a clear jelly? Or, is sugar required to give jellies that jewel-like, transparent look? Or, does it depend on the pectin you use?

I'm not much of a jelly maker myself, I'd personally rather have something that leaves in more of the fruit that I worked hard to grow, but I'm just curious.