Robert Klute

Default Brining ratio - for Turkeys

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:56:11 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Most recipes that I have read say to use:
>
>2. cups Kosher Salt or 1 cup of regular salt per 2 gallons of water.
>
>Alton Brown adds 1/2 cup of light Brown sugar and 1 cup Kosher salt to 1
>gallon of iced water and 1 gallon of vegetable stock.
>
>Martha Stewart says 2 gallons water 2 cups bourbon, 2 cups + 2 TBS. course
>salt and 1 cup of sugar.

I am probably telling you stuff you already know, but here goes anyway.

2 cups of Diamond kosher salt equals 1 cup of regular salt. So that is
1 cup of kosher salt per gallon of water.

Alton is doing 1 cup of kosher salt per gallon of water. He knows that
the vegetable stock already has lots of salt, in fact he warns against
using low/no salt broths.

Martha is using 1 cup + 1 tbs of coarse salt per gallon + 2 cups of
water. Both kosher salt and pickling salt are coarse salts, so this is
close enough.